Feb 3, 2010

FAU Owlettes Playing Football

The Women's Flag Football Club is a recent addition to FAU thanks to the hard work and passion of junior Jannean Burke. Burke said that her dad has been training her to play football since she was young. "My dad wanted a boy, instead he got me and ever since he has tried to make me great at football."

Burke decided to start this club after hearing that other schools also have teams outside of intramurals. "I played on my sorority's team, but we just had intramural games, I wanted to play with girls who were better than me. I wanted to take it to the next level," said Burke.

The club played in their first tournament at the University of North Florida this last fall and have also been invited to also play in the University of Florida "Swamp Bowl"
Flag Football Tournament. The club had try-outs on Jan. 23 and 15 girls show up, one in particular being deaf. "Its a club, so everyone gets to make it," said Burke.





The teams Facebook page says that they are "dedicated to the promotion of flag football for women throughout FAU and their goal is to advance opportunities for equality on the fields by taking a leadership role in administering game play, through education, and training of the game."

Burke told me that "It was really nice to be the creator of something that was the start of a tradition. Other teams have been around for over 15 years and this is the first year. It is just really exciting to be involved in something that allows women to do something that is typically dominated by men."

The team has practice every Saturday and offensive practice on Thursdays. If you are interested in joining  the team contact Jannean Burke here.

No comments:

Post a Comment