Feb 1, 2010

Drug Free Owls at FAU

Most of you might be familiar with D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), a program that I was personally introduced to in the 5th grade. In D.A.R.E I learned all about what drugs looked like, smelled like, how they made you feel, and most importantly the effects they would have on your body in the long and short term. What I will admit is that when I started to hear about various drugs in college, I had no idea how to answer any questions that I had about drugs.

FAU sophomore Camille Royer is trying to solve that problem and has decided to work with the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office to create a D.A.R.E. program for young adults at FAU. This program will be the first like it. Royer says,"the program will be designed for college students, it will be a lot different than the program for elementary students."

She was inspired to start this program after she had an uncle die from a heroine overdose. “After my uncle passed I saw friends doing drugs and I thought that maybe being reintroduced to D.A.R.E. and what it teaches, they might change,” said Royer.

Royer expects the program to be up and running in fall 2010. She is hoping to start with a series of seminars on staying drug free. “I want to start with Greek Life, I’m in Greek Life and I just think it’s the easiest way to get the program out there." 

Royer expects to have tables  to promote for the program this spring at FAU. If you are interesting in helping contact her here.

No comments:

Post a Comment